Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Golden Rule

This post is by guest blogger, Kayess.

I was watching CNN as I'm wont to do on any day and Amanpour was airing. Amanpour is the name of a daily segment on CNN hosted by Christiane Amanpour and in the words of Kanye, one of the best journalists of all time...of ALL time.

In today's segment, she interviewed Tony Blair about his participation in the Middle Eastern regions and on his bid for EU presidency (with the Lisbon Treaty now signed by all EU members). More interestingly however, she discussed with some religious dude and dudette, the role of the 'Golden Rule' - to do onto others what you want others to do upon you - in our world. The Golden Rule is seen in most religions in one form or another and this concept of morality seems to be fairly widespread.

When most people think of the idea of the Golden Rule, they tend to look on an individual level; how and what can I do to make the world a better place? The idea of a Golden Rule can possibly be epitomised by our dear Aaron who performs acts of compassion onto those around him. The discussion about compassion and the Golden Rule from the TV segment discusses just that..and a bit more. It seeks to apply the idea of a Golden Rule onto a more macro scale and thinks about the idea in terms of entire nations. Now..how best to implement?

*****

I decided to be ridiculous last weekend and went to both party things last Friday and Saturday and had really good fun at both events and met some new people. The parents are coming back on Sunday so there's only a few days of complete freedom left :( The school's hosting a sporting tournament this week so there's probably going to be a lot of students from other schools going clubbing weekend. We'll see what the plans are for this weekend.

So whilst I was ecstatic and happy last Friday and Saturday, my emotions decided to go haywire and make a 180 on Sunday night just before bed probably due to one or two primary reasons that I'm not bothered to write about just yet. This basically led to an emotionally weird week for me so far, experiencing a bunch of emotions I've never felt before. It's interesting, but not really welcomed. At this point, I feel more apathetic than anything else which is probably an improvement from Sunday night's depressive mood.

On a somewhat related note, we're reading Hamlet in English (just finished Act 2) and I seem to find some of myself in Hamlet's character in that, I procrastinate and delay my actions whilst being somewhat introspective but unable to express my emotions and thoughts properly to others.

Well, have a lovely hiatus Aaron and to everyone else, stay safe :)

3 comments:

Ethan said...

Hmm I hope you feel better soon

Brett said...

It's good to hear from you!

We haven't spoken in a little while, have to change that.

Sorry to hear you were in a crappy mood, but glad to hear you worked out of it.

Talk soon,
Brett =]

Cooper said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails