Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Being Home

This post was meant to be posted while I was home in South East Asia but I didn't manage to finish it.

Being home is a very humbling experience for me, very personally.

Being home reminds me of where I came from. The adversities, happiness and love I left behind.

Being home keeps my feet securely on the ground. It keeps my head cool and my heart warm. It reminds me how easy it is to be spoilt by luxury and comfort.

I always get the anxiety when I am headed home. My mind turns into a hodgepodge of thoughts and imaginations of what have changed. This time, the anxiety was a bit more complicated.

My grandma won her battle with colon cancer while I was away. Some of my cousins and friends have gotten married, and some, broken up.


Being home reminds me of what it was like being poor.

It really reminds me what are important in my life and how the hell did I get to where I am at today. It also helps to have modest parents who constantly remind me that the most important thing in life is to be happy. They never bothered knowing the details of what I've been doing, they only wanted to know that I am doing well.

My mum only told me one thing, carpe diem. Accept what I can't change, change what I can change and be wise enough to know the difference. As long as I am not doing anything ethically or morally wrong, she doesn't care what I'm doing.

Being home reminds me of what makes me happy.

I can be earning all the money in the world, but when it boils down to happiness, my friends and family make me happiest. They mean the world to me.

Being home reminds me of who I was. A poor, filthy young boy with a big dream, wanting to break the stereotypes.

Being home reminds me of what love is. How it feels like to be surrounded by people who can love me unconditionally. The warmth and familiarity I've missed out for 2 whole years.

Being home is like eating your childhood favourite lolly. The invisible familiarity and comfort that puts an immediate silly smile on your face. People might not understand it but you don't care.

I miss home.

***

I have added an email subscription option on the top sidebar because someone emailed me and explained that this way, he could read my entries at work via email. It also helps for those whose workplace ban blogs. Smartarse.

***

I don't do many linking love but this kid had me rolling on the floor laughing my arse off the whole night so go check out Edward (what a lame name) if you can and show him some love. He's a bit love-deprived.

6 comments:

Edward said...

i'm so gonna kick your ass. well, seeing as you've laughed your ass off already, i'll have to kick something else. i'll let you know when i think of what it is.

i hope being back home in brissie isnt too bad though bro, but we all get how much you miss home. i hope you had an absolutely fabulous hol man.

love you, short of kicking your ass :D

Ed

ps. aaron is a lamer name compared to Ed, you tosser. love you xxo

Aek said...

Nice post. :-)

You've taken a couple random quotes from other people, lol. It's all good. :-P

I've been moving around a bit, and I'm not sure exactly what's left at home. Most of my hometown friends have moved elsewhere and I've lost touch with their lives. So going home is kind of . . . empty.

Seth said...

Quite... eloquent. But you're always home, in your heart.

Winter said...

so amazing to hear from you again. missed you! i guess home is where the heart is, nice to read about your feelings and perhaps it's time for me to think about the place home has in my heart. chat with you soon.

Dean Grey said...

Aaron!

I'm glad you had such a joyous family reunion!

Enjoy the closeness with your family and friends. Not everyone is fortunate to have those things.

Nice to finally see you blogging a little more often too!

-Dean

bK said...

It's good to hear from you again! Carpe diem... I think that is so true. Very thought-provoking post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails