Sunday, March 21, 2010

And We Held Hands

I have a feeling that I'm going to jinxed this (read below) by writing this but fortunately, I am not superstitious.

I'm on a gay social networking site. It doesn't have my picture on it - just a lame profile description and a few statistics of myself like my height, weight, age and area I live in. I lie in those stats by either adding or subtracting 1 from the real number so as to hide my identity. It's an attempt anyway.

About 3 weeks ago, I got a message from a guy who have just moved to Australia from USA on an exchange program. We got talking and after a week, I decided to invite him to a movie premiere with me. It's the movie season and I was getting invite to advanced screening on a weekly basis. I was wearing a blue stripey shirt, black shorts and thongs (flipflops) and he was wearing a blue flannel shirt, jeans and shoes. I have black hair, brown and Asian eyes. He has short, dirty blond hair, blue eyes and a piercing on the top of his left ear.


We met at the mall and for the Brisbanites, you wouldn't be surprised to hear that we met outside Hungry Jack's (Burger King in other countries). He's on a budget and I'm broke, so we went to grab a bite at Subway. We got talking like old friends and after we finished our subs, we headed for the cinema. We were watching Cop Out which was pretty funny - although not everyone liked it.

Half way through the movie, we both happened to rest our arms on the arm rest between us at the same time, so I apologised. He was sitting on my right hand side. I moved my hand a tad to form a gap between both our hands in case he thought I was hinting something. Minutes later I felt his little finger rubbing against mine, but I didn't think much about it. Then I felt it again, and this time, I moved my little finger a bit and like a lightning, his little finger was intertwined with mine. We then held hands and stayed that way for the rest of the movie.

After the movie, we walked around the mall and across the bridge to Southbank where we got a beer and spoke about family and being out. He did not want to go home and me neither, so we had a walk around Southbank. I gave him a tour of the place before we finally sat down next to the river, held hands and talked about our journey to Australia.

We parted at close to midnight. Two days later he texted and we caught up again on Saturday. I picked him up in the morning and we drove 40 mins down south to the Gold Coast where we spent a silly time on the beach. We didn't stay for long because I had to be back to send a friend to the airport. We held hands the whole way there and back except when I needed both my hands to drive.

Credit: ayerlind

And as I dropped him off, we kissed, very quickly for the first time.

Since then, he has been over to my place a few times and me over his, had dinner and drank with my housemates and we have spent a night together. We see each other about once every 3 days, but now its about everyday sometimes once in two days.

I'm threading unfamiliar territory here. I've never dated any guys before and its been 6 years since I've been in a relationship. I don't want to progress too quickly, yet I don't want to seem like I'm too slack about it although I do realised that I probably don't keep in touch enough. We're taking everything very slowly and that's really, really comforting because the last thing I want right now is to jump into a full-on committed relationship filled with sex and lust, or to be in a relationship where we're both all over each other. For some reason, everything seemed so natural - we exchange about 4-8 texts a day depending on the events and if we're seeing each other on the day.

It's been 2 weeks since we've been together - although we've never made it official nor have we said "I love you" to each other. I've also made it clear that I travel a lot, have events to attend, not ready for full commitment and not totally out so he'll have to put up with that. He's fine with it, in fact, he's supportive of it and made it clear that he's independent and want us both to be independent rather than relying and obsessed with each other. I cannot agree with that more because I think that allows us both to expand in our own passion and potentials whilst also bringing out the best in each other through the relationship.

We're going to a comedy on Sunday night, then he's got a job interview on Monday, so we're going to have dinner that night. His first job interview in Australia (he's been here just over a month) so I think we should celebrate a little. We're having Pokers Night at my crib this Tuesday night so he's meeting some of my friends and then we're going to see La Roux on Thursday because I got an invite to the concert.

Well, yeah - that's one small part of the reason why I came out to my housemates. There are days when I do question where this relationship is going, but for the most part, I don't think about it too much - in fact, I don't think about it at all when I'm busy. I'll just have to see if this spark survives or drops off - either way, we're going to make the best of it.

***

I've added a new poll on the sidebar so cast your vote.

And to answer Aek in his comment two posts below, initially I thought my housemate would just give me the awkward reactions but they totally didn't so I was slightly surprised.

11 comments:

Derek said...

Hey there,

Looks like it had a good start and you're comfortable with the pace of the relationship, then it should be fine. You both seem to be handling things well, so no worries!

Wish you luck! =)

Aek said...

Awww, I'm glad things seem to be going well. I approve of taking things slow. :-)

Ethan said...

You left a comment on my blog, wrote a post and have someone?
Hmm must be the stars lol

Anyway I'm glad you doing well and hope you enjoy yourself with this guy

Ethan

JC said...

Glad to hear that things are going so well in your life. My advice is to take it slow. It is great that you both can work hard to advance your lives while sharing them with each other. I look forward to keeping up and hearing more as you two progress.

You joy brings happiness to others.
Take care!

Ron said...

congratulations, good on you.

Mr. Urs said...

You seem to handle this pretty well :) good luck with it and enjoy enjoy every drop of it :)

bold said...

:)

william said...

hi there! i just read yr post and i would like say tat it really reminds me of what i am currently going thru! we met thru a online networking site n have been seeing one another for 2 months! like u, i came out to my hsemates as he wud be a regular visitor! :)

keep on writing ! wud love to share this wonderful journey that we seem to have in common!

JUSTIN said...

Don't stress so much man...just enjoy his company.

bK said...

He seems really nice :). All the best on that!

Oh and also, congrats on the coming out to your housemates! I'm glad that they were cool about it, even the threesome guy.

Dean Grey said...

Aaron!

Congrats on your new guy!

Yes, take things SLOW but enjoy each other's company.

God I wish someone would hold my hand! I'm jealous!

*sigh*

-Dean

Related Posts with Thumbnails