Thursday, September 23, 2010

Falling in Love All Over Again

Melbourne is the second largest city in Australia and probably one of the prettiest as well. I know it is of no comparison to Sydney but I am not a big fan of Sydney.

I've blogged about Melbourne quite a bit and I've always been a fan of Melbourne. I was planning to move to Melbourne but the weather in Brisbane totally stole my heart but coming back to Melbourne, apart from the disgusting weather, feels like falling in love all over again.


The people that I know, the variety and abundant of awesome food and cafes, the quirky, edgy, rough places, and the subtle European culture combined with a unique Australian twist makes Melbourne a bit more livable and elegant than the other cities.

I'm a huge coffee fan and you find tons of coffee places in Melbourne. Melbourne is also home to some of the largest sports in the world, e.g. the Australian Open and the biggest comedy festival, e.g. International Melbourne Comedy Festival.

Other than that, its just been an amazing week of meeting some of my closest friends, some newly met and some that I've made over the interweb through various collaborative projects. One of my good friend from high school is here as well and we've been hanging out the past few days and it's just incredibly weird but refreshing in a way hanging out with someone you've known for the past 11 years.

A year ago, Nic also introduced me to a friend of his who is from Melbourne. We had a few chats but never really long chats because he's a bit shy and slightly more quiet, which at that time, I thought he was just being antisocial so we never really talked much and never spoke since.

A year later, Nic asked me to introduce him to some friends, and I looked back at our Skype log and realised I've actually spoken to this Dan guy before. So I had a chat with him again, which was more like, "Hey, Nic told me you're a bit lonely and want some friends. Can you give me 5 mins to pack and I'll come chat with you". I know it was awkward but I was actually packing. So half an hour later, I had a 10 mins chat with him and offered to meet him when I get down to Melbourne and he agreed!

On the day we were supposed to meet, I totally forgot about it, so I arranged to meet him the day after, and he said okay. At the very last minute, he got nervous and cancelled, but then about 30 mins later, he said its cool to meet again. Lol.

We met and we chatted. He was awfully shy and quiet, but we got over the awkward silences after a while and hung out for 2 hours. And then we hung out again the next day for about 4 hours, which is kinda cool. I think it was about 2 hours later that we finally broken the ice and I pushed all the shyness and quietness out of him, and we just became good friends.


Aaaahh... Melbourne. How I heart you.

PS: I also love the very, very artistic side of Melbourne.

9 comments:

the immigayrant said...

Hehehe... I heart Melbourne too.

As much as I dislike the weather, I begin loving the chance to wear my beautiful peacoats out. Just bought them from winter clearance sale and whew, I love them...

PS: Let's catch up when you're here!

the immigayrant said...

Oh here's some more reasons to love Melbourne:

http://www.samesame.com.au/features/5905/Gay-Melbourne-The-best-clubs-bars-festivals-and-culture.htm

Dean Grey said...

Melbourne sounds lovely, Aaron!

-Dean

Nic said...

That Nic person sounds like a fantastic guy.

Lol in all seriousness though. I'm glad you guys are friends now. He can sooo benefit from your kind soul. :-)
Aaaaand he is easy on the eyes :p

bK said...

I sooo want to visit Melbourne now!

BosGuy said...

Yes, I visited Melbourne late last November and fell in love with the city. Here in the States they always show off the city when broadcasting the Australian Open.

Although it is on the other side of the world for me, I know I'll make the trip back there again.

BosGuy

Ron said...

I'm biased so I'll just put it out there that I think Vancouver > Melbourne. :)

You should come visit Hobart Aaron.

Jason Shaw said...

I can remember Melbourne from my trip down that way many many years ago, it was lovely then, and from what you say, it still is as lovely.

Have fun.

Thanks
J

Aek said...

San Diego and San Francisco are pretty nice. :-P

Related Posts with Thumbnails